Thursday, February 12, 2015

Taking Back My Home Week Six

Continuing on the de-cluttering mission, I finished several projects this week, as Michele challenged us to "tie up loose ends" in the kitchen. I had several of those so I got busy. 


My missions this week included finishing up some of my cabinets to make room for storing some stuff that just always seems to be out on the counters. After reading that the solution to counter clutter was to make a storage space for those items, I set about doing just that. Several items were parted with, ending up in the donation box. I chose a few items that I have not used in years, and probably won't use anytime soon, and listed them on ebay. 

One of my big accomplishments was a total organization of my spice cabinet. I also found a great recipe from the recipe challenge last week, and made it. 


Michele encouraged us to tackle the dreaded oven and microwave cleaning and I checked both those off the list. 

Here's a picture of my recipe binder from last week: (forgot to post it!)



I have actually stretched beyond the kitchen this week, and have been trying to dedicate a small amount of time everyday to skimming over other areas of the house and choosing several items to de-clutter or clean up. 

So far this week, I have listed at least a dozen books on half.com and actually sold three already! These were books that have just been taking up space on the shelf. I also found several books that were borrowed and returned them to their happy, rightful owners. We even gifted a few books as well. 

My whole family comments on the progress I am making with taking back the home. They are all enjoying the new look, and that makes it all worth it to me! One of the children even took it upon herself to start de-cluttering her own things, and has made some giant steps at thinning out her 'stuff' through donating and gifting to bless others. 


Copyright 2012-2015 - "Be The One" - www.aclassofone.blogspot.com  All rights are reserved. No text, photos, or content may be reproduced without direct permission from the author.

11 comments:

  1. You got A LOT done this week! Way to go. Love love love the spice drawer! It looks fantastic! I will make sure to share that this weekend! Thanks for linking up and for sticking with us- glad your family is taking notice of all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so beautiful! I am so inspired that this is making a difference in your home. And your spice drawer look so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a productive week. It is nice when your family members notice that you've done something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a awesome idea for the spices! I am going to have to steal that idea from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to hear how you do selling books on half.com. I have lots of books that I'm ready to part with as I down-size our collection, but I don't know the best way to get rid of them. The easiest way is to just donate them somewhere, but I keep thinking that there has to be a fairly easy way to get rid of them and make a little money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selling books on Half is very unpredictable. It seems to come in spurts. I have found that the books that do the best are cheap paperbacks that people want but don't want to spend full price for. Unfortunately, a seller doesn't make much on them though. You also have to store them until someone purchases. So it's not the best way to sell, but if you have books sitting around anyways, and want to get a few bucks for them, it can work. I view it as a step above a garage sale. It is very easy to list on Half - just enter the ISBN and condition and they notify you if someone purchases. You may consider trying Amazon trade-in for your books? I did that with a bunch of old video games, movies, and books that the kids thinned out. You fill out a form letting Amazon know what you have and the condition. They tell you what they will accept and what value they will give. You mail it in and they give you Amazon credit. That was cool and much quicker than waiting for a sale on Half or ebay.

      Delete
  6. Amazon trade-in might be a good option, especially since my primary goal is to get them out of my house (with as little effort as possible).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - I agree - it's pretty simple - after submitting everything online and receiving confirmation of what they will take, they send you a pre-paid shipping label, and you only have to pack everything in one big box. It's super easy.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!