Tuesday, February 10, 2015

GF/DF Old Fashioned Roast Beef Dinner




This week while sorting through and organizing old recipes for my 34 Weeks of Clean Challenge, I came across a recipe for a roast that I set aside to try 'someday'. That someday came! I just happened to have a lovely chuck roast ready to meet this recipe and engage in some wonderful camaraderie.

Since I was looking to make only one dish for dinner this day (instead of the usual 2 or 3 to accommodate our various allergies ) I modified the recipe to make it safe for all.

First, let me recommend our favorite butter that was used in both the mashed potatoes and the glazed carrots - it is a tasty dairy-free alternative. We use the soy-based one because it is safe for us, but there is a soy-free/dairy free option available as well, that is made of pea protein.


Now...the recipes:

Old Fashioned Beef Roast
A 3-4 lb beef chuck roast with fat trimmed
2 TBS Canola oil
1/2 c. safe barbecue sauce
1/2 c. peach chutney
1 TBS white or apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. water
2 TBS cornstarch

Rub meat with oil, then sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pour any remaining oil in the bottom of a dutch oven, and begin to warm it on the stove top over medium heat. Place the roast in the dutch oven, and brown the meat evenly on all sides.

In a separate bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, chutney, water, and vinegar, then pour over the meat in the dutch oven. Cover the dutch oven and leave on stove top, simmering about 2 hours or until meat is tender and has reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Remove meat to a serving platter and loosely cover with a foil tent to keep it warm. Pour the meat juices into a pan and allow the fat to separate, skimming it off the top of juices. Return the leftover juices to the dutch oven. Mix corn starch with 1/4 c cold water until completely smooth with no lumps. Stir this corn starch paste into the meat juices and heat over medium temperature until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Slice the roast into 1/2" thick slices, and pour sauce over each piece before serving.

*If you do not have peach chutney, my recipe lists several suggestions that can be tried as substitutes. These are orange marmalade, grape jelly, or apple jelly. I do not know the outcome of those flavors, since I happened to have peach chutney in my fridge and was able to make the recipe in its original form.

*I had a 3.75 lb roast, and it made enough for 3 meals for my family!

Glazed Carrots
8 medium carrots
2 TBS safe butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 TBS fresh chopped parsley

Scrub carrots and peel if you wish. Slice them into 2" quarters.  Steam or simmer them in boiling salt water until they are crisp-tender. Drain completely.

In a skillet, melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar until it is completely dissolved and starts to thicken. When the sauce starts to get bubbly, add the carrots and turn the temperature down to a low simmer. Gently stir the carrots into the glaze until they are completely coated and slightly softened. Sprinkle the parsley on just before serving.




Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes

A trick I learned a long time ago to make rich, creamy mashed potatoes without using any dairy was to mash the potatoes in the water that they were cooked in. After washing, peeling, and chopping my potatoes, I boil them in a pot full of water until they are very soft. Instead of draining the water out of the potatoes before mashing, I use a large cooking spoon and scoop potatoes and potato water out of the pot into a separate bowl. It is usually a bit of trial and error to get the right balance of potatoes and water, so I tend to add less water at first, and slowly add it in spoonful by spoonful as I am mashing, until the right consistency is reached.

I also stir in several tablespoonfuls of the Earth Balance 'butter' (pictured above) as well as salt and pepper to taste. The end product is a creamy bowl of mashed potatoes that is completely dairy free and safe for all my family!


Thanks Michelle at 34 Weeks of Clean for challenging us to find new meal ideas out of our current stash of recipes! 


I am also linking up with "Try A New Recipe Tuesday"



Copyright 2012-2015 - "Be The One" - www.aclassofone.blogspot.com  All rights are reserved. No text, photos, or content may be reproduced without direct permission from the author.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy making pot roast in the crockpot. I've never tried one with peach chutney though. I like to make meals that can easily accommodate the dietary needs of our family as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased with how it came out - so easy too! :-) I am sure this would taste wonderful simmered all day in the crockpot.

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Wish I had uncovered a recipe that sounded this good! ;) I will share this on Thursday since I know we have lots of readers who are deal with food sensitivities as well. Thank you for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!