Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Blogging Through the Alphabet - N





N is for Noise
 
Sound Waves photo from Commons.wikimedia.org
 
 
What is noise? Sounds. Sounds of any kind - some good and some very distracting and harsh. We live in a world filled with noise! I am constantly amazed at the low hum of noise in our household. It is never perfectly quiet, even after the children are in bed. There is always some kind of noise going on, even if it is just the sound of the dishwasher or washing machine!
A hornet breaking the sound barrier - photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org
 
There are many new noises that have become a part of our life these past ten years. Noises of various beeps and electronics sounds. While I am constantly amazed at the technology available to us, and I do enjoy using it as well, I am sometimes disheartened at the lack of quiet in our lives and homes.
 
photo courtesy of www.flickr.com - public domain
 
Is all this noise a problem? Have you ever had a moment where you just wished you could turn it all off? Just escape from all the noise for a short time?
1Corinthians 14:10  "There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification."
Why is it a problem?  One big reason why noise is a problem is that it inhibits our ability to have a daily quiet time with God. The Bible emphasizes repeatedly that walking with God and building a personal relationship with Him is a daily event. Adam and Eve met with God in the Garden of Eden on a daily basis, at a set time. Who has never experienced a time of sitting down to read your Bible and pray, and had your cell phone go off? Or some timer start beeping from something in the house?
 
In order to accomplish our goals of developing a relationship with God, and hearing God's still, small voice, we must purpose in our heart to "turn off" the noise in our life. The sacrifice is worth it. Getting up early in the morning, before others are awake, is one of the most successful methods of having a quiet time with God. Another idea is turning off the cell phone before starting your devotions. It is not likely that anyone will have a reason that they must get ahold of you immediately, and cannot wait until you are done!
 
Moms, take the time to train your children that your devotion time is special and important. Don't allow them to interrupt you. When my children were smaller, I had to tell them, "Mom is busy reading her Bible and praying for a few minutes and it is very important. You will have to wait until I am done before you can speak with me." Children quickly learn that Mom cannot be interrupted, and I found that my children started following my example, and would curl up with their Bibles and read while I was reading mine. Lead by example.
 
 
 
Finding God and hearing His voice is the most important task of our lives. We will not find Him in all the noise. He has a still, small voice, and won't force Himself on us. He will wait for us to seek Him.
 
I Kings 19:11-13 "And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?"
One of my favorite verses in the Bible (and probably one of the hardest ones for me to obey) is:
Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."
Sometimes, we have to force ourselves to be still, and to block out all the noise, so we can know God. For someone like me who is always on the go, this can be a challenge, but I am always very blessed when I make it a priority, and I know you will be too!

This post is linked with Blogging Through The Alphabet at "Ben and Me" and also with "Titus 2sdays" at "TimeWarp Wife."
 
 
Blogging Through the Alphabet

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder of the importance of a quiet time, set aside for God. Not just time in His word, but an actual time that is quiet and still. I love that your little ones would curl up with you. I have gotten out of my routine of having a quiet time. I know if I can't get it in before the children wake up I figure all is lost. I need to make this a priority in my life.
    Thanks for sharing on Throwback Thursday. I hope to see you by this coming Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!