Friday, July 11, 2014

Feta & Kale Garden Omelet

One of my favorite things about summer is the abundance of fresh veggies and fruits that are readily available. Our little farming town grows some of the tastiest produce ever! It is common to eat things that were just picked that morning or the day before, that the farmers have made readily available.

I would like to share a favorite way that we get our veggies in for breakfast.

I commonly make omelets out of whatever veggies we have currently available in the fridge, even if it is last night's leftovers. 

This week we had an abundance of kale given to us. On it's own, kale has a pretty strong flavor that no one in the house really cares for, but they will tolerate it if I mix it with other things. 

First, I wash everything well (the local organic veggies typically have a good amount of little bugs - I don't mind...I would rather clean off bugs than chemicals!). Most veggies I will soak in a salt water or vinegar water wash, then rinse well,  to make sure that the bugs are gone before cooking.

Then I mix together the following ingredients in a saute:

Enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Allow it to warm up first before adding:
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped peppers
2 c. coarsely chopped or torn kale leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. dried crushed red peppers (more to taste)
salt & pepper to taste

The kale leaves will quickly look wilted as they cook. This is fine.




In a separate pan, prepare your eggs for an omelet. I typically use 2 large eggs, beaten, and poured into a hot, greased pan. Allow them to cook in one large circle. When set, flip once and immediately pour saute mixture onto one half of the egg circle. Sprinkle about 1/4 c. (more if desired) crumbled feta cheese over the kale saute then fold the omelet closed. 

Slide onto a plate, and garnish with extra feta if desired. Enjoy Your healthy and energizing breakfast!




Copyright 2012-2014 - "Be The One" - www.aclassofone.blogspot.com  All rights are reserved. No text, photos, or content may be reproduced without direct permission from the author.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. ooh... I have a friend who would TOTALLY love this. Going to share it with her. :)

    Annette @ A Net in Time (http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! I have never successfully cooked an omelet. I do something wrong with the eggs that make them taste....like my dog smells? I know that sounds weird, but it's what happens every time. However, I'm thinking I could do almost the same recipe with just pouring the eggs over the top of the kale mixture and then baking it into a frittata? Really, anything with feta, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work great as a frittata. I have done that before as well. For cooking eggs...I think perhaps having a dedicated pan would help? My grandmother always said that eggs pick up the taste of the pan, so she would use a dedicated pan just for eggs. I have a nice stainless steel omelet pan that I bought just for making omelets, and it seems to work pretty well. Good luck with trying it out! You could also bake it like a quiche and it would be good that way.

      Delete
  3. I have never tried kale. I think you are inspiring me to give it a whirl! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/07/try-new-recipe-tuesday-july-15.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!